Reflections on Verbal Behavior at 60 | Journal Club Series
Dr. Nicole Bank, BCBA, LBA-TX Earn 3 BACB Learning CEUs!
This installment in our Journal Club Series will cover the article, “Reflections on Verbal Behavior at 60” authored by Dr. Henry Schlinger published in The Analysis of Verbal Behavior
. CEUs are provided for reading the article, participating in an online discussion, and completing an article content quiz.
Reflections on Verbal Behavior at 60. B.F. Skinner published his book Verbal Behavior in 1957. Since then the field of behavior analysis has produced a wealth of information on verbal behavior, using Skinner’s analysis as a theoretical basis. Dr. Schlinger has published many articles on the topic and has taught Skinner’s analysis of verbal behavior for many years. In this article, he reflects on 60 years of analyzing speaker behavior and the contingencies of reinforcement maintained by the community.
Article link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6381335/pdf/40616_2017_Article_87.pdf
Reflections on Verbal Behavior at 60. This is an interactive live online journal club. Participants will receive 3.0 Learning CEUs for completing all journal club activities. Participants are required to have read the entire article before attending the scheduled one-hour live online journal club discussion. Journal club discussions will include article details, article results, and implications for practice. Active participation is required. CEUs will be provided after completing an article content quiz on the BDS learning platform. Only those who read the article and actively participate in the live online discussion will be invited to take the content quiz. BDS is interested in increasing scholarly activities and discussion among BCBAs and BCaBAs. Stay tuned for future CE events in the BDS Journal Club Series!
Here’s how it works:
- Purchase the journal club meeting you would like to attend.
- Follow instructions for downloading a copy of the article.
- Add the following emails to your contacts in order to avoid important emails going to spam:
email@example.com AND PartnershipServices@gmail.com
- Receive an email for instructions on scheduling your online discussion. Once the online discussion is scheduled, you will receive a link for the online discussion.
- Read the article in it’s entirety.
- Join the journal club meeting at the scheduled time. Please mute your microphone upon entry.
- Stay online and involved for the 1-hour journal club meeting.
- Receive a link to the content quiz.
- Complete the content quiz to 80% accuracy.
- Receive 3 CEUs.
- Identify reasons to suggest the book, Verbal Behavior is still relevant today.
- Identify what makes Verbal Behavior so comprehensive.
- Identify why the ideas published in Verbal Behavior are so revolutionary, both at the time of publication and now.
- Identify how Verbal Behavior has contributed to current practical uses.
- Identify parts of Verbal Behavior that provide a deeper understanding of human language.
Mandatory Disclaimer: The Behavior Analyst Certification Board® does not warrant, endorse, sponsor, approve or partner with the CE events, this organization, or instructors. (Note that the above disclaimer does not mean that the BACB disapproves these products. They simply don't endorse any CE products or events and they want you to know this. However, they do approve providers and BDS is an Approved Learning CE Provider. Therefore, you can rest assured that your CEUs will be accepted by the BACB.)