Sorry - this product is not available
Functional Behavioral Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment 3rd Edition
A Complete System for Education and Mental Health Settings
By Ennio Cipani, PhD
Springer Publishing Company/ 2017
Paperback / 340 pages
Clearance books are non-returnable.
Old price: $85.00
Featuring a highly interactive approach, this text is noted for its exceptionally clear and thorough coverage of how to conduct a functional behavioral assessment (FBA) through various assessment methods, how to diagnose the function of problem behaviors, and how to select a behavioral intervention that addresses the diagnosed function. The development of requisite behavior-analytic skills is aided by utilizing many “real-life” and hypothetical cases that represent common scenarios in applied settings.
- Interactive approach, icons in the text alert readers to review related narrated online lectures highlighting FBAs and treatments and complete assignments embedded in text.
- Numerous cases, many based on the author’s clinical experiences in working with children and adults in educational and mental health settings, provide a realistic look at applied behavior analysis.
- Forms, interview protocols, and intervention plans illustrate the process of creating behavior plans from collected assessment data.
- A pioneering classification system for categorizing the function of problem behavior (Cipani BCS).
- Cases that model the process of assessment, classification, and treatment used in an FBA allow readers to role-play and develop presentation and classification skills.
New to this edition:
- Chapter objectives and BACB Tasks that match the content to be covered with objectives from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) task list help readers master some of the skills required of behavior analysts.
- Assignments and discussion items with associated narrated PowerPoint lectures to further engage readers.
- Simulation Exercises to actively involve readers in collecting data, conducting an assessment, demonstrating the use of a function, or observing how to “shape” an alternate behavior.
- Self-Assessment exercises to help readers test their understanding of the content.
- The Cipani EO School Behavioral Interview Rating System to help in conducting interviews.
- The Cipani Replacement Function Classification System for determining the strength of replacement behaviors.
- Online instructor’s resources including test items tied to the chapter objectives, chapter PowerPoints with assignments, a course syllabus builder, and What to Read if You Used the Second Edition (Conversion Guide).
- Online student resources including narrated PowerPoints and video lectures.
Preview of first chapter:
(You can click the "download" button to view the preview at a larger size)
An ideal text for courses in (applied) behavior analysis, behavioral or emotional assessment or management, child psychopathology, or developmental disabilities taught in school psychology, special education, behavior analysis, psychology, or social work; anyone who assesses and treats patients with challenging behaviors will also appreciate this book.
Highlights from each of the first 4 chapters:
Chapter 1: Basic Concepts
- Illustrations of hypothetical cases illustrating the concept of “function of behavior” that are derived from author’s extensive applied background since 1973
- Delineation of the four major behavioral functions (DA, SMA, DE, SME)
- In-depth discussion of how antecedent motivating conditions can form the “driving force” for problem behavior; multiple examples to allow for student comprehension
Chapter 2: Functional behavioral assessment methods
- Multiple methods of assessing the function of behavior clearly delineated, both experimental (e.g., analogue assessment or AKA Functional Analysis of Behavior, Trigger analysis, In-situ Hypothesis testing) as well as descriptive methods (Behavioral Interviewing, A-B-C charting, Scatter Plot). The text also presents a viable and a unique method that combines both experimental and descriptive data (trigger analysis with behavioral description)
- Featuring a unique behavioral interview method (developed by author) and blank form (in Appendix A for easy use with permission to owner of text to copy); The Cipani EO School Behavioral Interview Form. For school personnel conducting FBAs with interviews of classroom/school staff, that method will be extremely valuable as a standard format for conducting interview
Chapter 3: The Cipani Behavioral Classification System
- Exclusive classification system detailed, The Cipani Behavioral Classification System, which further classifies sub-categories within the 4 major classifications presented in Chapter 1
- Multiple school and clinical examples for each category provided (Note from the author: "Students say they love these abundant examples from the two prior text editions")
Chapter 4: Function-Derived Treatment Options
- Several interventions methods based on function for each major classification category
- Unique classification system for determining the strength of the potential replacement functions; The Cipani Replacement Function Classification System