Sorry - this product is not available
Autism & the Transition to Adulthood Success Beyond the Classroom
By Paul Wehman, Ph.D., Marcia Datlow Smith, Ph.D., & Carol Schall, Ph.D.
Brookes Publishing / 2009
Paperback / 304 pages
Clearance books are non-returnable.
Old price: $39.95
Autism diagnoses in young children increased dramatically in the 1990s—and now those children are young adults on the verge of a challenging transition to the real world. Every school and program will be ready to help with this groundbreaking practical guide, straight from the author of the acclaimed bestseller Life Beyond the Classroom and two community-based autism experts.
Professionals who work with young adults will get hard-to-find information on how specific social, behavioral, and cognitive characteristics of people with autism affect the transition to adulthood, exploring potential challenges and traits that can be powerful assets. Then they'll get a complete guide that walks them through every aspect of transition planning, including planning for employment and postsecondary education:
- conducting skillful assessment to determine a young person's individual career goals, job-related strengths, and independent living skills
- using well-designed instructional supports, routines, and spaces in inclusive classrooms
- implementing positive behavior support to help young adults with autism succeed in school and at work
- providing community-based instruction at naturally occurring times, so it's easier for students to learn and generalize new skills
- showing students and their families how to make the most of SSA disability benefits
- assisting students with college preparation, from choosing a college to managing academic and social demands
- using supported and/or customized employment strategies to help young people establish satisfying careers that play to their strengths
- helping young people develop critical life skills they'll use across settings
- unlocking the benefits of community services and programs, such as vocational rehabilitation programs and Centers for Independent Living
Compelling stories throughout the book illustrate how successful transition planning improved the lives of three diverse teenagers, and the practical forms, checklists, and suggested resources and links help readers put the proven strategies into action. A must for every member of the transition team— including general and special educators, transition specialists, employment specialists, and counselors—this is the ultimate resource for supporting the goals, dreams, and future success of young adults with autism.
|Help young people with autism develop critical life skills in key areas:|
- social skills
- health and safety
- work habits
- money management
- recreation and leisure
- personal appearance
- and more!